POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feeling the pinch yet? : Re: Feeling the pinch yet? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feeling the pinch yet?
From: St
Date: 21 Mar 2008 10:23:39
Message: <47e3d2fb@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote in message

> 47e3be7f$1@news.povray.org...
>
>>      Ah well, that would explain why it hasn't been done yet, but I still
>> think that with our great engineering brains, it 'might' be possible.
>
> As Gail said, not without breaking the laws of thermodynamics as we
> understand them, so it would require a little more than engineering
> brains.
> However, this never stopped people to create "perpetual" motion engines
> that were always eventually proved to be either hoaxes/scams, or genuine
> but not working, or working but not actually perpetual (i.e. requiring an
> external energy source to work).

Yes, I've just done a little reading about PMM's and thermodynamics was
mentioned quite a lot. I don't know, I can see that yes, there would be a
problem with heat, but what about other materials? I know that PTFE is one
of the slipperiest plastics out there, but then of course, you wouldn't have
the strength.

  By the way, I think I remember on an old Tomorrows World program (late
70's?) that an oil-less car engine had been produced, (still needed petrol

per unit. I wonder what happened to that?

    ~Steve~